The Sunshine Coast Community Foundation recently undertook an extensive communications audit and planning exercise, and is now seeking a part-time contractor to provide Communications Associate services. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will lead the Foundation through activities to enhance its brand awareness in the Sunshine Coast community. The ideal candidate will be excited about the opportunity to lead the implementation of a major communications overhaul, as well as to provide ongoing communications services to the Foundation. One-time responsibilities will include leading a branding refresh and a web site redesign and creating new communications materials. Ongoing responsibilities will include media relations, social media promotion, and donor communications.
1. Lead branding refresh, including:
- Vision and Mission statements
- Elevator speech
- Oversee redesign of web site
- Write and coordinate design, production and distribution of new print materials including general brochure, rack cards, and permanent display panels
Estimated time: 225 hours over six months
2. Ongoing communications and marketing support, including:
- Submit 8-12 stories per year to local newspapers
- Write annual Report to the Community
- Generate weekly social media posts (Facebook/Instagram/Twitter)
- Write monthly emails to donors and prospects
- Create annual “Give Where You Live” ad series for late November/early December
- Assist with internal and external PowerPoint presentations
Estimated time: 20 hours per month
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field such as communications, journalism, marketing/advertising and/or digital strategy, or relevant professional certifications
- 5+ years’ experience in organizational communication and developing and executing strategic communication plans
- Exemplary oral and written communications skills including writing, editing, and proofreading for popular media
- Ability to work independently on a broad range of projects
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle competing deadlines and deliverables
- Team player, able to work collaboratively internally and externally
- Excellent organizational, planning, and follow-up skills
- Comfortable executing and reporting on results from a wide variety of communication tactics including social media
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign) and web design an asset
- A proven track record of managing websites and social media platforms is essential
About the Foundation
Established in 2003, the Sunshine Coast Community Foundation exists to help improve the quality of life for all residents of the Sunshine Coast. Thanks to the generosity of hundreds of local donors, the Foundation manages an asset of nearly $6 Million that generates more than $150,000 in community grants annually. Our volunteer Board of Directors approves grants to local charities that are addressing a variety of local challenges or contributing to an exceptional quality of life. Since it began awarding grants, the Foundation has distributed more than $1.3 Million to local projects.
The Foundation recruits without discrimination on the grounds of race, religious beliefs, colour, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, ancestry, place of origin, age, marital status, source of income, family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
The successful candidate will work from home and attend occasional meetings with Foundation staff or Board members. Preference will be given to applicants based on the Sunshine Coast of BC. However, if a suitable local candidate cannot be found, we will consider those living more remotely.
$25.00-$30.00 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. Since this is a contract position, no benefits are provided.
How to Apply
The Foundation will begin accepting applications on March 9, 2020 and will continue to consider them until the vacancy is filled. Please send a covering letter and resume to [email protected].
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Foundation. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.